If you are 'testing' the new release of MediaPortal (MP) 1.2.0 beta, now you can learn about all the new features and how to use them and test them thoroughly.
For the first time in MP history, testers have access to current documentation on all the changes and new features.
This was a new initiative for 1.2.0 beta, and our first attempt. We hope to improve the process even more in future.
Many thanks to all those who have contributed! It was a huge undertaking by all the Team as well as many users.
Read on for a summary of the additions and changes. These do not include the many changes behind the scenes to improve performance and existing features which do not change the user interface.
What's New in Wiki
You can view the Wiki Documentation for 1.2.0 beta on the Wiki What's New page. There is a table that lists every page in the main Wiki that has been updated for 1.2.0 beta. Just select 'beta' from the Show box for the table.
Note that there are many, many additional changes documented to assist all those who contribute extensions and translations:
- Skin Changes 1.1.0 to 1.2.0 - here again you may select 'beta' in the Show box to see only the changes for 1.2.0 beta. All 1.2.0 beta changes have been also integrated into our Skin Architecture documentation
- Plugin Related Changes
- Language (Strings Files) changes
We have attempted to document every development change to aid our extension developers.
Summary of Changes
Here is a quick summary of the Wiki changes for 1.2.0 beta.
Note: These are in addition to all the 1.2.0 alpha features already reported.
- Version Check
- Default Skin + GUI Setup
- Selecting the new Default Skin - MP Quick Setup, Skins (Note most screenshots will remain Blue3/wide until 1.2.0 final is released)
- restructure of General Section in Configuration Tool: GUI section , Language Settings, Control Settings, Start/Resume Settings
- General - Language button displays a list of languages to choose from instead of using the right or left arrow buttons to cycle
- Default TV/Videos Thumbnails size changed to 1x1 from 2x2
- Setup Wizard - removed since it was out of date, not functioning in some cases, and not widely used
- Layouts & GUI Features
- Change Layout button - now uses a Dialog to select Layout rather than cycling Layouts
- Coverflow layout - was added in alpha but fully implemented in beta
- Scrolling List Layouts from top to bottom and vice versa - see ListControl Scroll Fix and Loop Delay Edit for details
- SMS Input - can now be used in Virtual Keyboard via SMS button
- Video/DVD playback
- Videos - sort by either Modification or Created date
- Movie Editions (new feature)
- Play all videos inside a folder
- Subtitle positions and forced subtitles - MPC-HC, DirectVobSub and now FFDshow
- Closed Captions
- Video Playback - Watched Status handling (triggered after playing >80% of video)
- FFDshow post-processing within MediaPortal
Autoplay options for DVDs
- Setup - Playlist Behaviour, Music Ripping, Music Track Format Masks, Music Views 1.2, Music Database (Select date option for new/changed files)
- Playing Music in 1.2.0 beta
- Love/Ban on last.fm in Now Playing - via keyboard shortcuts (L/K), context menu or button
- CUE Files
- Winamp Visualizations
- New Skin properties in Browsing Music and Now Playing
- TV Guide - Set a program reminder
- TV Guide accessed from On-Screen Display Actions Menu now displays the normal TV Guide, rather than the 'see through' dialog
- Closed Captions (CC) support
- TV Channels (setup) - Instant Filtering (Filter by Channel Name)
- Test Channels (setup) - new feature to check TV-Server setup and stress test
- Hauppauge Colossus TV Card support
- WebEPG Grabber changes
- Organize pictures - Sort by Date Modified or Created
- Command Line Options Syntax
The above list is not exhaustive, there are additional minor changes, like a Default button for resetting Picture, Music and Video extensions back to the original defaults. However, as you may have noticed, when you browse the Wiki, the changes for 1.2.0 beta are all clearly marked.
Don't forget, the Help button in every Configuration screen will always take you to the related Wiki page for help on setting up the options available on that screen. You can always print out the Wiki page(s) to use them when configuring systems without an internet connection.
Have fun, and don't forget to eat and sleep!