MediaPortal 2.5 is a full-blown media center software that addresses most common user requirements out of the box. Aside from its support for live TV and radio, it offers a complete media server for music, movies, and series. Info is automatically downloaded from various sources to provide posters, fanart, album art, and various additional metadata, such as cast, staff, and more. MediaPortal 2.5 also provides access to online video sources. Integrated news, weather information, and management for your digital images complete this software package. User management for your family let you configure users (e.g. kids) and restrict age dependend content and settings.
InstallerMediaPortal 2.5 comes with a brand-new installer, which is offering a smooth and comfortable installation process and also brings a cool design making the installer look fresh and modern.
New FeaturesIn the installer you can choose between 3 TV engines (or non if TV functionality is not needed):
- TVE3 (only in NET4.8 version of MediaPortal 2)
Please check also the wiki for more details.
- NET6 installer (OV and TVE3 not included)
- NET4.8 installer
Due to heavy development of MediaPortal 2, many new text strings have been added, but have been not localized yet. Everybody can support translating strings in our translation platform transifex. Every help to bring MediaPortal 2 forward is highly appreciated by our small development team.
- Potential deadlock when disposing GENA event subscription
- Separate Fullscreen/Windowed toggle from "Always On Top" behavior
- Update Nuget.config to use https myget source
- Update build process to use Transifex CLI instead of the now obsolete Transifex client
- Workflow navigation to child screens does not respect some parent screen properties
- Centralized MediaLogo and Certification images to Default skin to avoid redundant storage in multiple skins
- Fix shortcut items not displayed on Weather and News home content
- Fix Potential Infinite Loop In VirtualizingPanels
- Extended age certification logos for Australia, Canada, Finland, Italy and Japan
- Add MediaPortal 2 version infos to settings
- Play/Pause OSD button restarts playback from beginning if pressed whilst seeking
- Nfo SeriesFanArtHandler can throw a null reference exception if actors list is null
- Opening the Diagnostics config page breaks server communication and other weird issues
- Wrong exception is logged/displayed if there is an issue during startup
- FanArtService can throw a NullReferenceException on shutdown
- Update transifex build scripts to support VS 2022
Dedicated Radio Tile
|The current TV engine (TVE3) for Media Portal 1 and 2 was developed a long time ago, and is not state of the art any more.
Accordingly we decided to develop the TVMosaic plugin as an alternative TV provider. The TVMosaic Community Edition is freeware and can be configured by web browser. Because it is not bonded to windows it may run on many platforms. The client plugin can be selected in the installer now. Further improvements and bug fixes such as improved EPG loading time and inproper channel indexes were integrated since the previous version.
|Check the wiki for further information.
|The current TV engine (TVE3) for Media Portal 1 and 2 was developed a long time ago and is not state of the art any more.
|Check the wiki for further information.
- All EPG screens have clear focus texts explaining the function or behavior
- Downloading of TV and Radio logos is improved
- SlimTv ChannelContext is not thread safe
- Remove hardcoded limit of 4 digits when channel zapping
- A scale and fade animation was added when dialogs appear and disappear. The dialog appearance was significantly improved with a skin setting to configure glow effect, edge radius, and transparency
- Fix the problem of the dialog closing if non-clickable element within dialog is clicked
Configuration of Home Screen HeaderThe home screen header can be configured to show one or more of date, time, current weather condition and current temperature.
Main Menu Tile StyleNew option to switch main menu tile styles – square (default) or circle.
- FanArt visibility settings have a live preview now
- Settings for scroll speed, scroll delay and loop scrolling were merged into one dialog
- Better gradients and background images in settings
- Better list index presentation for shares and input devices
- New button style with rounded edges
- Better textbox styles with icon
- Improved message with icon in case no share is added with option to add a share directly
- Added image for “local media” tile
Input Device Manager
|The Input Device Manager was completely revised by our developer Brownard! Now it supports not only HID devices, but finally also allows mapping of all non-HID devices or devices that send simple key presses to an application.
Please check also the wiki for further details.
This refers to all optional plugins, meaning they are not part of the installer, but need to be installed manually. You can find them in the download section.
|The Webradio plugin is using NET6 besides NET4.8 now and several improvements have been integrated.
|The emulators plugin is using NET6 besides NET4.8 now and serveral improvements have been integrated.
Full List of Changes
Installation, Upgrade, Download and Feedback
Windows 10 K and KN editions: You need to manually download and install the additional Microsoft Media feature pack first. This will add the Windows Media Player and related technologies that are required by MediaPortal 2 to work.
Warning: Upgrading from a .NET6 version to a .NET4 version is not supported and the previous version should be uninstalled first before installing the NET4 version!
If you think you found a bug, then please first check if it has not already been reported: the Bug Reports Forum contains all active user bug reports with their respective status. For new issues post a detailed report in our Bug Reports Forum. Make sure your report includes all the required information.
Appearance and Functionality
We invite you to make suggestions for improvement with special focus on menu layout, menu content, explanatory texts, and translations. Please post your comments in a new thread in the General section.
Requests for missing/new features should be made in the Feature Request Forum. As for bugs we would appreciate if you first verified that your request has not already been raised before. Also if possible please make only one request per thread.
If you would like to support MediaPortal, we would be happy to receive a small donation!
The MediaPortal 2 team wishes you a good year 2024 and a lot of fun with this new release!